Saturday, January 15, 2011

How to fix a salad dressing

I found a bunch of hives the other morning.  Remedy?  Follow through on my threats and take up the histamine restricted diet.  All these allergies, or am I over-histmated (I made that word up)?  I'm not sure, but these days I'll try anything (except, you know, going back to the allergist that thinks I'm crazy). If nothing else, it will get me to focus more on what I'm putting into my body.

You can check out the dietary restrictions here, and you'll note that it seems like everything that is permissible is healthy, home made "stuff".  What is missing, despite the plethora of vegetable options, is the permissible salad dressing.  Even home made dressings are ruled out, given the restrictions on mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon juice.

But I was not to be bested.  When a craving for chicken caesar salad hit, what could I do but try to make my mayonnaise/vinegar/lemon-free dressing.

I'd give you a detailed recipe but I didn't measure a single thing and it turned out... decent.  And considering I was certain I was going to eat my salad without anything on it, I will consider it a success.

But here is a rundown of what I did.  I started with a white sauce our roux, adding garlic, onion powder, a touch of Italian seasoning and some parsley.  At first taste, it is a pretty close match to alfredo sauce, minus the nummy nummy cheese (which is not allowed, except in curd form).  Chilled, it was a little thick (more milk would help).


In any event, I used it to top my salad of lettuce, carrots, bacon, (melba toast) "croutons," and chicken (seasoned with Italian seasoning).  All together, it wasn't as tasty as the actual caesar salad sitting across the table from me, I'm sure, it was doable.

In the future, I will probably use the fat from the bacon grease to supplement the flavour.  As well, I might use the spread? Sauce? Whatever for pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment