Thursday, September 3, 2009

Eggsperiment

It's 7:00 CST (note: no Daylight Savings Time on that - so 8:00 for you regular people) and it's still 28 degrees outside.

And of course, today, having been warmer than yesterday, was my turn to cook for my temporary-live-in boyfriend who wanted a "man meal" when all I wanted to do was to munch on lettuce, cottage cheese and cucumbers and call it salad.

After searching the web for recipes which only reminded me of how hungry it was, how hot it was, and how poorly stocked my new apartment's fridge was, I settled on pancakes, only to remember that I didn't have mix, and I didn't have eggs.

After more searching I came across this recipe for Egg-Less Pancakes from All Things Edible. Much like the blogger who tried the experiment, I found it rather... weird.

The batter was very foamy, and ended up rather thick when it hit the pan. I ended up overcooking some of the cakes in order to ensure they were done on the inside.

They tasted as one would expect a pancake to taste, albeit it a little dry - something easily remedied by the use of plentiful amounts of syrup.

With some bacon and Watermelon Strawberry juice to round out this breakfast themed supper, I would say that despite the additional heat of the frying pan, it was perfect for a lazy summer night.

Recipe:

1 c flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 c soy milk (I used regular 1%)
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients, and then whisk in wet. Cook on medium heat griddle until bubbles form, flip and cook for another 2 minutes (or until done).

No comments:

Post a Comment