Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Teddy Jar

There is currently a jar that used to house peanutbutter on my desk.  It's in the shape of a teddy bear, and just too adorable to throw away.  I had it packed away in my "apartment box" for years, and had forgotten all about it until I unpacked it when I moved back into my own place. 

Of course, there was the issue of what to do with it, given it's adorable-ness, and, well, impossibility of getting all the (fill in food which could be placed in it) out of the jar given it's shape. 

Of course, within a few days of being in the apartment, I discovered that I had a lot of pocket change.  I usually threw this into an old tea tin at work to be used for coffee money.  However, since I won't be doing coffee on a daily basis, there was no need for it at work. 

So the Teddy jar has become my spending jar.  When I need bus fare, parking meter money, or a coffee fix, I grab out of the jar.

However, I've also decided to use this jar to help control my spending.  You see, I've got a new rule:  I'm only allowed to venture through the aisles of Value Village (or any other second hand store) with Teddy jar money.  Basically, when I get $10 free bucks in the jar, I can get $10 worth of "stuff".


Currently the jar has $10.97 in it.  Theoretically, this would allow me to hit up the aforementioned clothing bananzas.  However, there is a catch.

There has to be $10 FREE bucks in the jar.  That means the $3.50 I need for laundry, and the $3.00 I need for coffee this week has to be subtracted from the total before I can go shopping.  That leaves me with only $4.47 left in free money.

Alas, it will be a while before I can get my shopping fix in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment