Friday, September 4, 2009

A Stitch in Time Saves Money

For some reason, I have had this overwhelming urge to get some skinny jeans. Now, I've tried on skinny jeans a few times, and it just didn't work for me.

Of course, with that urge came the urge to shop in general. And of course, the priorities for my money this month are:
- textbooks
- tuition
- food
- rent
- fan / air conditioning

and about 25 points later, clothing.

As a result, when I arrived back at my parents' place, I grabbed a couple articles of clothing heading towards the self-help pile, and altered them.

Example 1 was pretty easy - just shortening this "vintage" Ricki's sweater dress I had picked up at Value Village a few weeks ago before realizing it made me look about 6 inches tall. I ended up cutting off about 4-5 inches. It's completely acrylic, and not going to last through too many washes, but it will be a great addition to my fall wardrobe.

Example 2 was a little more complicated. I took a flared pair of pants and made them into skinny jeans. I had read about it on the Academichic website, and studied the linked video. I still want to play around with some bias tape to fold them up to be worn with flats.

I did a bit of other mending and the like, but I figure all together, I saved myself $25 on the jeans, probably $10 on the tailoring of the dress, and got to spend the evening with my mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment